Move on SYC History
Robert M. Sergeant, J. Addington Wagner, and Victor E. Kronemeyer, all of Battle Creek, incorporated the club on October 29, 1959.
The first Bridge and Board of Directors of the club became:
Mark Hannah, Commodore;
Warren Peasley, Vice Commodore;
George Kitchen, Secretary;
Russell Snow, Treasurer;
Charles Lamkin, James Scripps, and Frederick Rahn. Directors.
A room in the lower level of the Butler Hotel was selected as the clubroom and it remains so today, although the Butler Hotel is now known as the Butler Restaurant.
On November 14, 1959, the first membership meeting was held at the Tara Restaurant in Douglas, Michigan, followed by a dinner dance. Over 60 members and wives attended the meeting. A burgee for the club was selected at the meeting. It portrays a green dragon on a triangle of yellow silk, with the club’s initials in red entwining the dragon’s body, portraying the Chinese heritage of the Singapore name.
Singapore Yacht Club was accepted into membership of the Yachting Club of America on February 10, 1960, and remains an active member to this day. It is also an active member of the Lake Michigan Yachting Association.
The club’s objectives have changed very little since it’s incorporation in 1959. They currently are: to promote yachting, boating, safe navigational practices and other affiliated water sports and activities; to promote sociability between members and other sportsmen; and to stimulate and encourage good moral and instructive entertainment.